Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Inspirational Sensualism

Now I've restored all the images on this blog, after my accidental deletion of them through my Galaxy cell phone. I celebrate by adding an image, the croquis above.

I made the drawing a couple of years ago. Croquis is great fun. Also, it's an excellent and very effective way of exercising one's artistic ability.

The human body is the foundation and measure of all art – drawings, sculpture, and painting, of course, but also for example architecture, as can be clearly seen on the Malmö building Turning Torso, by Santiago Calatrava. Our aesthetic ideals spring from the human body, its proportions, colors, and movements.

Sadly, I don't find all the time I'd like for this exercise. Nor is it that easy to get willing models. Otherwise I'd do it daily.

It's strange how quickly one develops one's abilities when doing croquis. Even a beginner can clearly see improvement from one drawing to the next. There is great inspiration in the uninhibited study of the human body, and making the pen follow its form is highly sensual.

If you look for a hobby that's highly rewarding and deeply satisfying, look no further.

Here is more of my artwork – drawings, painting, photos, and video experiments. Below is a croquis I made way back in the 1970's, when I had much more time and opportunity for it.


(Click on the images to see them enlarged.)

2 comments:

  1. Very nice drawings, Stefan! I moonlighted a lot as a model when I was still living in Malmö and I found it an excellent job and easy money, although it is physically more demanding that one might think, irrespectively if you do short or long poses. You have to be strong! And unblushing... ;) Besides, it was interesting to see all different interpretations of my body. It could differ pretty drastically, how people perceived me. I have made a few jobs since I moved as well, but not nearly as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jojo, now you tell me...
    I would love to have you as a croquis model.

    I know it's a hard job, which is quite interesting. We think movement is strenuous, but being still is even more straining. It's because stillness is against nature.

    ReplyDelete